2015 Chicago Single-Payer Strategy Conference
This is a wiki for posting notes, photos, powerpoint presentations, and video of the 2015 Single-Payer Strategy Conference hosted in Chicago, IL by Healthcare-NOW!, the Labor Campaign for Single-Payer Healthcare, and One Payer States. To see what other conference participants have shared, click on the workshop or panel below that you're interested in.
- 1 Single Payer Strategy Conference - Chicago, IL - October 30-November 1, 2015 
- 1.1 Conference Strategy Questions
- 1.2 Agenda for Friday, October 30
- 1.3 Agenda for Saturday, October 31
- 1.4 Agenda for Sunday, November 1
Single Payer Strategy Conference - Chicago, IL - October 30-November 1, 2015 
Conference Strategy Questions
Attendees will be asked to answer the following five strategy questions at the conclusion of the conference based on their participation in workshops, plenaries, and their conversation with other movement activists at the conference. The questions are designed to focus our discussions and help us move towards consensus on important movement priorities by the end of the conference. Each question has a dedicated wiki page on which you can post your own thoughts or quotes from the conference that will help us move forward on these crucial organizing decisions!
3. We look to breakthroughs at the state level to reignite the national movement for healthcare justice. After recent experiences in Vermont, California and elsewhere, what will it take to move state campaigns to victory?
5. The current healthcare system reproduces inequities along lines of race, class, gender and immigration status. What are concrete ways we can confront these inequities in our work and within our own organizations?
Agenda for Friday, October 30
Single-Payer Rally Targeting a Healthcare Profiteer, 4:00PM - 5:00PM
Reception and Opening Plenary, 7:00PM - 9:00PM
- Opening Reception with music from labor singer Anne Feeney
- Opening Plenary - Jean Ross, National Nurses United; Richard Gottfried, Chair of the NY State Assembly Health Committee; Claudia Fegan, MD, Physicians for a National Health Program.
Agenda for Saturday, October 31
Plenary: Developing a Winning Strategy for the Single-Payer Movement, 9:00AM-10:30AM
- Framing Questions For The Conference - Mark Dudzic, Labor Campaign for Single Payer Healthcare; Donna Smith, Health Care for All Colorado.
- Movement Action Planning for Single Payer Organizing - Benjamin Day, Healthcare-NOW!
- The Strategic Moment - Michael Lighty, Director of Public Policy, California Nurses Association/National Nurses United
- A Winning Strategy - Audience Q&A
10:45AM-11:45AM – First block of workshops:
- Telling Your Healthcare Story - Facilitator: Benjamin Day, Healthcare-NOW!
- Workers Compensation & Healthcare Justice - Facilitator: Joel Shufro, NYCOSH
- New York: Beyond The Breakthrough - Facilitator: Gene Carroll, NYS AFL-CIO/Cornell Union Leadership Institute
- Winning Support from the Business Community - Facilitator: Chuck Pennacchio, Healthcare 4 All PA
- National Legislative Initiatives - Facilitator: Vijay Das, Public Citizen
1:05PM-2:05PM – Second block of workshops:
- The Cadillac Tax & Attacks On Workers Healthcare - Facilitator: Jim McGee, Transit Employees Health and Welfare Plan
- Progress Report on State Single Payer Campaigns - Facilitator: Sonja Rotenberg, Illinois Single-Payer Coalition
- When Your Legislator Says No - Facilitator: Benjamin Day, Healthcare-NOW!
- Organizing Students and Youth for Healthcare Justice - Facilitator: Troy Neves, Campaign for a Healthy California
- 2 Lessons from the Most Successful Campaign in Modern History - Facilitator: Tom O’Brien, United Steelworkers
2:15PM-3:15PM – Third block of workshops:
- Advancing Single Payer During the Election Season - Facilitator: Rand Wilson, SEIU Local 888
- Healthcare is a Human Right Model -Facilitator: Healthcare Is a Human Right Collaborative
- Online Organizing for Single Payer Activists - Facilitator: Stephanie Nakajima, Healthcare-NOW!
- The ACA at 5 Years: Medicaid Expansion and Immigrant Inclusion - Facilitator: Rita Valenti, Healthcare-NOW!
- LGBT Access to Healthcare: An Issue for All Single Payer Activists - Facilitator: Donna Cartwright, Pride at Work
Plenary: Building Momentum, Building the Movement, 3:30PM-5:30PM
- Getting Past the Finish Line: The Single-Payer Movements in Vermont and New York - Facilitator: Donna Smith, Health Care for All Colorado. Presenters: Keith Brunner, Vermont Workers Center; David Sterrett, Sterrett Law PLC; Annette Gaudino, PNHP NY Metro; Marva Wade, NYSNA.
- Single-Payer and the Movements for Racial Equity and Immigrant Justice - Facilitator: Pilar Schiavo, Campaign for a Healthy California. Presenters: Betzabel Estudillo, California Immigrant Policy Center; Living Hope Wheelchair Association, Texas.
- Film trailer for "FixIt: Healthcare at the Tipping Point" – a documentary on business & the single-payer movement.
FixIt: Healthcare at the Tipping Point documentary, 5:30PM-7:00PM
Full showing of FixIt documentary – Q&A with the filmmakers and discussion of outreach and organizing.
Agenda for Sunday, November 1
Strategy Sessions & Closing Plenary, 9:00AM-11:00AM
- Small Group Sessions: Answer the Framing Questions of the Conference - Facilitator: John Lozier, National Healthcare for the Homeless Council.
- Closing Plenary: Next Steps for the Movement: Donna Smith and Sonja Rotenberg, One Payer States; Mark Dudzic, Labor Campaign for Single Payer Healthcare; Benjamin Day, Healthcare-NOW!