2019 Single-Payer Strategy Conference
This is the wiki page for notes, photos, powerpoint presentations, and video of the 2019 Portland Single-Payer Strategy Conference hosted from October 18-20, 2019 by Healthcare-NOW and the Labor Campaign for Single-Payer Healthcare. To see what other conference presenters and participants have shared, click on the workshop or panel below that you're interested in.
To add your own notes, photos, slideshows, or video to a workshop or panel page, you can email them to Healthcare-NOW, and we will post them for you, or you can add them yourself to this site just like Wikipedia! To edit pages you first have to create an account by clicking "Create account" in the upper right corner and following the instructions. You can then add to or edit any page (except this one) by clicking "Edit" at the top of the page.
Friday, October 18, 2019
Rally for Medicare for All, 4:00PM - 5:30PM
Opening Plenary, 8:00PM-9:00PM Location: Eliot Center, Main Sanctuary
- Video Welcome from Rep. Pramila Jayapal of Washington
- Scott Desnoyers: Loss of His Son & Why We Fight
- Rose Roach of National Nurses United: This Moment of Opportunity and Crisis
- Sara Nelson, President of the Association of Flight Attendants-CWA: A Worker-Centered Transition to Medicare for All
Saturday, October 19, 2019
Morning Plenary, 9:00AM-10:50AM Location: Eliot Center, Main Sanctuary
- Mark Dudzic, Labor Campaign for Single Payer Healthcare
- Cokie Giles, California Nurses Association/National Nurses United
- Sofia Sepulveda, Texas Organizing Project
- Benjamin Day, Healthcare-NOW
- Jose la Luz, Deb-Jones-Douglass Institute
- Diane Archer, Just Care
- Donna Cartwright, Pride at Work, Medicare Advocate
- Stephanie Nakajima, Healthcare-NOW
- Alex Lawson, Social Security Works
Workshop Block A, 10:50AM-12:05PM
- What is Single Payer and Why is it Important?
- Partnering with Businesses in Support of Medicare for All (both A and B)
- Winning Municipal Resolutions in Support of Medicare for All
- Head Them Off at the Pass! Putting Together a Labor Posse
- Bird-Dogging for Medicare for All
- State of the States: Effective Coalition-Building Strategies
- How Will We Pay for Medicare for All?
Workshop Block B, 1:05PM-2:20PM
- Partnering with Businesses in Support of Medicare for All
- Taking on Big Pharma
- Reimagining a Just Transition
- Building a Feminist, Multi-racial, Pro-immigrant, Accessible Movement for Medicare for All: Why and How?
- We Must Win: Basebuilding Is How We Do It
- Know Your Enemy: Opposition Research
- Lessons from the Field: Two Years of Building Pressure and a Base with the Democratic Socialists of America
Afternoon Plenary, 2:20PM-4:25PM Location: Eliot Center, Main Sanctuary
- Donna Smith, Progressive Democrats of America
- Marti Garzi, International Association of Machinists
- Jennifer Flynn Walker, Center for Popular Democracy
- Michael Lighty, Democratic Socialists of America
Distributed Organizing on Medicare for All, 4:25PM-5:25PM - Wins, Challenges, and the Path Forward
Speakers from National Nurses United:
- Kelly Coogan-Gehr
- Jasmine Ruddy
Off-Agenda Saturday Evening Events!
Happy Hour & Mixer at Shift Drinks PDX, 6:00PM-8:00PM - Hosted by the Medicare For All Resolutions Campaign
- RSVP: email@example.com
- Location: Shift Drinks PDX, 1200 SW Morrison St, Portland, OR 97205
FREE Screening of Knock Down the House, 7:00PM-9:00PM - Courtesy of Amy Vilela
- Reserve your FREE tickets HERE!
- Location: Eliot Chapel at the Eliot Center, 1011 SW 12th Ave, Portland, OR 97205
Agenda for Sunday, October 20, 2019
Everybody In! Confronting Inequities and Bringing New Voices to the Table, 9:10AM-9:30AM - Darius Gordon, National Field Organizer, Center for Popular Democracy
Roundtable Strategy Discussions & Report-Backs, 9:30AM - 11:00AM
This is What Democracy Looks Like! Learning from Puerto Rico, 11:00AM - 11:20AM - Carmen Yulín Cruz, Mayor of San Juan, Puerto Rico